With the holidays fast approaching, I’m certain that a fair many may be a bit puzzled about what to buy that hippie-type friend on the list. Fear not, for I have compiled a list of desirably crunchy gift ideas for your perusal!
(This post does include affiliate links, which means that I may make a small commission from any purchases at no extra cost to you. Thank you for your support.)
Gifts For Crunchy Friends
Essential Oils And Accessories
- When it comes to gifts for crunchy friends, you can never go wrong with essential oils. I mean, well…you can… if you get the wrong kind! For the love of all things natural, puhlease do not get just any old EOs for your best bud. You want therapeutic grade oils. I personally love Eden’s Garden and Dr. Robert Pappas, an incredibly respected Ph.D. chemist and leading authority on quality control in the essential oil world, does batch testing for Eden’s Garden. With that said, plus the fact that their pricing is phenomenal, it’s good enough for me.
- With oils at the top of the list, the natural second gift idea would be a diffuser! Of course. Although I love Eden’s Garden for my oils, NOW is an alright go-to in a bind in my books. As such, I recommend their essential oil diffuser as a gift for crunchy friends. It doesn’t use heat so you maintain the integrity of your oils and that means it’s an ideal gift for a true granola pal.
- Fashion Accessories. Sticking with oils, although I don’t want to bore you here, you could also go with either a lava bead bracelet or an aromatherapy locket. I love the tree of life pattern on the suggested one and it would be especially appreciated by any spiritual or nature-loving friend.
- Echo Verde. This is one of my all time favourite companies and clothing lines. Everything is beautiful, comfortable, sustainable and either low impact or 100% organic. Read their Go Green page and tell me you don’t want to buy everything they make! If you can spend a bit, go with the absolutely luxurious organic cotten/cashmere blend cardigan. You don’t have to worry too much about sizing with that either- up or down, you’ll generally be safe. If you’re wanting a smaller gift, everyone likes pajamas and you can’t go wrong with a classic nightie.
- Two words; tye dye. More importantly though, go with bamboo cotton or organic materials. I find a lot of pieces from Qualicum Cloth Works to be drool-worthy.
- Not exactly clothing but I LOVE Flat Bags. I have two! The owner, Shannon Hames, started upcycling old bike inner tubes and built a business out of recycling. They’re stylish, functional and really freakin’ comfortable to wear (unlike most of my other purses).
- Many of my alternative friends love macrame wall hangings and dreamcatchers. Giving a delicate piece of stunning, handmade art, while also pulling nature into the home with driftwood pieces, is a gesture I’m sure would be appreciated. Two Canadian ladies that could fulfil any macrame need own The Hippies Homestead and Fringe and Forest. My favourite piece is the mobile, found in my friend Krysanne’s shop here.
- Thrive Market makes things easier for you when shopping for those fringe friends. You can take advantage of the free shipping options, enjoy the products for yourself and order one of their starter kits if you’re wanting a quick, easy gift that’ll be sure to get some use.
- You may have heard the word “Berkey” tossed around in social circles but, when it comes to water filtration systems, I feel Propur is far more superior. There are many comparison charts you can check between the two but they’re my pick. If you want a gift that wows, you can’t go wrong with anything from their site. Your friend will love you for worrying about their drinking water and these are always coveted items crunchy circles.
- Kombucha Starter Kits make for excellent presents, as we all want one but often don’t get around to buying it. If you’re located in Canada, you could go with the Complete Organic Homebrew package one. If you’re in the U.S., you can take advantage of the slightly better pricing offered by Get Kombucha. And, if you know my husband, give him a nudge in this direction 😉
- Uhm, salt lamps! They cleanse the air, help with energy and sleep and they assist with neutralising electromagnetic radiation. Plus, the warm glow is so relaxing. Salt lamps are definitely a given on the list of gifts for crunchy friends. I particularly like the one I linked because it ships from Nevada, internationally, and arrives quickly. It’s also got a more authentic look to it than many of the formed shapes, or bowl ones, as pictured below. The great thing about this gift is, if they already have one, chances are your friend would want one for every room of the house!
- If you want to purchase from a great, start up company while shopping for your socially conscious pal, Hippy Heart Naturals is a one stop shop that will make your life easier. They offer everything from salves, to tea, pit paste, salts, toners and bath bombs. Their products are pretty, the pricing is reasonable and they offer gift sets too!
- If you’re looking for the perfect gift for crunchy friends, why not try a gift set from Botany Farms Canada? The organic ingredients and essential oils will make for such a pleasant bathing experience. I’m personally lusting after their scoby soap and may just have to grab a stocking stuffer for myself. It includes honey, kombucha, green tea and cocoa butter (everything is happening!) but there are so many good ones.
- A trip to a naturopath could be an incredible gift for anyone but will truly be cherished by the more alternatively inclined. It’s a life-changing experience. The N.D. that I see locally covers nutritional counselling, Chinese medicine, cupping massages, acupuncture, homeopathy and herbal medicine. That’s just to name a few of her talents, plus she’s super friendly. They can help with everything from pain, to sleep, mood and diets. I now take all of my little ones to a naturopathic doctor, after having been turned into a believer by Dr. Lun.
- Salt caves. We covered a bit about the benefits of salt lamps, only you can take your friend to an actual cave. How cool is that?! They are said to help with allergies, cystic fibrosis, respiratory issues, depression, detoxing and all kinds of skin problems. For me, being in such a relaxing, child-free zone for a couple of hours is the icing on the cake! I’m lucky to have a few close ones but Wag Jag will often run deals- so be sure to check out your local options.
Food And Drink
- Since wine is the most beneficial and most studied alcohol to consume, I stick with that. If you want an inexpensive, organic, Italian wine that’s sure to please, try Era Merlot. At a pricepoint of only $10 per bottle, you can buy a few to keep under the tree as last minute gifts for unexpected arrivals. My personal favourite, mid-range wine is Novas Gran Reserva Carmenère Cab Sauvignon. It’s absolutely delicious, yet still affordable and will certainly be a win.
- If you’re still not certain what’s best to purchase, you could go with a membership to a store where organic, natural products are abundant, the pricing is great and your friend can find many other household items too. Costco! If you haven’t heard of it, check it out. I apologise in advance for the fortunes you’ll spend there.
- No matter how crunch committed one may be, there’s always a vice. The holiday season is one of a bit of indulgence, whether it be baking, the rum and nog or a caffeinated beverage during the early morning wake up call from excited littles. For me, it’s all three (gulp) so trust me where these suggestions are concerned but you’ll have to judge the crunch-level of your intended recipient. Let’s start with Deathwish Coffee. Theirs brew is fair trade, organic, all natural and it’s amazing. Seriously. It saves lives when I’m reading minions and running on 3 1/2 hours of disturbed sleep. It works faster than energy drinks, without sugars, chemicals or additives and they source the very best beans on the planet for their blends. I recommend the barrel aged chocolate rumball coffee, for an extra special holiday treat.
For The Earthy Friend
- Keeping with bringing nature into the house, why not gift a plant? Succulents are great at any time of the year. If you want to be more seasonal, poinsettias make for a beautiful splash of colour during the dreary winter season and who doesn’t love them? For me, I would find a holly bush to be such a thoughtful present because it truly shows that a loved one has considered our celebration of Yule, rather than Christmas. If you want to make it even more perfect, put your plant in a clay pot and decorate that yourself.
- A bee house! Hear me out; I know many people hate the idea of being stung but this house cares for itself. Every crunchy friend knows how desperate, and important, the bee colonies are we need to help. You can add in a good book about bees, which touches on ways to assist, and make a truly unique, memorable, fantastic present. Don’t worry if you aren’t well educated on the subject, or they’re not either. If they’re crunchy, chances are they do their own research and will be well versed soon enough!
There you have it, a fairly diverse list of 20 possible gifts for crunchy friends. Hopefully that got your juices flowing and, if you didn’t love these, perhaps you can think up a wow-worthy present for your pal after reading through my suggestions. What would you buy for your crunchy companion?
If you’re the friend, drop some hints in the comments! Help a gift-giver out with some ideas of your own.